10, డిసెంబర్ 2012, సోమవారం

‘Painting the Allure of Nature’ by Susan D. Bourdet


       This book again is a visual treat to the eyes. These are the four complete demos, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter that I had done from the book, with only a small amount of masking: (done in late 2007)
spring-summer
 autumn-winter

‘Capturing the magic of light in watercolor’ by Susan D. Bourdet

   
          When I saw the paintings of Susan Bourdet, I was fascinated by her style of painting, the fluid beautifully blended background washes, the simple but striking compositions, the lovely bright colours and the beautifully rendered foreground subjects of nature. I bought both her books as a next step in my learning process. She shows various mini demos for building a painting and finally four complete compositions. There are also sections on how to choose reference materials to make a good composition. I had the most magical time looking at her gallery of paintings and thought it would take a lifetime to be able to do anything like that. I mustered up enough courage finally and started on the one titled ‘warblers and wisteria’ on a very small sized paper.
magic-of-light

The Watercolor Flower Painter’s A to Z by Adelene Fletcher


            I found a Deutsch copy of this book at a library in Cologne. This is the first book from which I seriously started to learn to paint. It shows how to paint 50 different common flowers in an easy to follow step by step approach. There are two pages devoted to each flower.It has a few pages at the beginning of the book describing different techniques and these are further highlighted whenever necessary for each flower with step by step mini photos. The paintings are well executed and it was a delight for me to turn the page and see a brand new lovely flower after every two or three days of painting a flower.  It also had the added advantage of taking my German language skills to a higher level! Here are the first few that I had done:
flowersa-z

           After a gap during which I had my baby and shifted cities, I found this book again at a library in Basel. Even though I hadn’t picked up my brushes for many months, I had grown as a person and this reflected quite surprisingly in my painting. I painted quickly and confidently and where before I was gropingly copying each color and value from the book, this time I had the ‘artist’s vision’ and I understood about the placements of darks and values to build forms. If your passion is painting flowers, then I think you will love learning from this book. Here are the ones that I had painted after my break:
 collages4

కామెంట్‌లు లేవు:

కామెంట్‌ను పోస్ట్ చేయండి